My big brother, Aaron Hawkins, would have turned 50 today.
Just typing that sentence hurt like hell, and rather than dwell on the bone-crushing sadness of his not being here, of being so much older than he got to be, I’m refocusing my efforts to do more of the things that make me feel most alive, the most Karen (as Gretchen Rubin would say).
And I’d like to encourage everyone to do the same.
My Most Alive list currently includes:
- Taking photos of my favorite photographer taking photos
- Hanging out with my cats
- Watching HGTV (Which Property Brother are you? I’m Drew in the streets and Jonathan in the . . . nevermind)
- Judging the decisions made by people on HGTV (whyyy does anyone ever List It?!)
- Catching up with my hilarious friends
- Setting things on fire (no really)
- Reading YA fiction
- Supporting other feminists whenever and however I can
- Escaping to the Chicago Botanic Garden
- Pretending that fried potatoes are low carb if I eat them with hot sauce instead of ketchup
- Scrolling YouTube endlessly
- Judging the decisions made by people on YouTube (WTF is a cut crease?)
- Pretending that I’m ever going to watch that show everyone keeps telling me to watch
- Listening to bad pop music
- Watching OG Star Wars
- Getting exactly 29 percent through every nonfiction book I buy before losing steam
What’s on your list?